In a recent cooking class at the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman, I learned new Caribbean recipes including jerk chicken, a mango and avocado salad, conch fritters, wahoo escovitch ceviche and a pineapple rum cake. My favorite dish was the Wahoo Escovitch Ceviche. Below is the recipe and some pictures from the class.
- 1 lb. of Wahoo cut (lengthways in 2 inch squares)
- 2 oz. of each yellow and red bell peppers
- 2 oz. often onion
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tbsp. of white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. of sugar
- Salt ( a couple of pinches)
- Scotch bonnet sauce
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Sear the Wahoo for about 30 seconds on each side.
2. To make the escovitch, julienne the peppers and onions. Place in sauté pan (use medium heat) and add the thyme, vinegar, sugar and all other ingredients to taste. As it comes to a boil, reduce to a gentle simmer, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
3. Once cold, cut the Wahoo into thin slices and display them evenly onto plate.
4. Place the escovitch mix over the top just before serving.